How much do solar power plants cost? Purchasing a solar power plant is long-term investment. According to current calculations, it takes around 15 years for this investment to pay off, due to significantly reduced monthly electricity costs. Monocrystalline silicon cells have the highest efficiency rate, around 15–17.5%, which explains their high price. Polycrystalline silicon cells are cheaper and their efficiency rate is 13–15%. There are also special modules called solar trackers, which follow the course of the sun. This system is more expensive, but enables optimal efficiency. The price of a photovoltaic system depends on the number of modules, type and capacity of solar cells, and existence of any additional elements. A standard solar power plant for a family house costs anywhere between NGN350,000 - NGN1,000,000 on average for battery, inverter and installation cost.
Who should you entrust with solar power plant installation and maintenance? Send an enquiry to relevant solar energy experts in your area with reviews, free of charge and no strings attached! All you need to do is fill in the form below.
Every form of self-sufficiency is becoming increasingly popular. Living your life in a way which brings benefit to each individual, but also to the environment, where renewable sources meet the energy needs, is one of the hottest topics right now. Low-energy passive construction, solar power plants, underfloor heating paired with a buffer tank and heat pump, use of rainwater for sanitary purposes are all becoming quite common in new buildings.
Solar energy is free, unlimited, and clean.
Use of clean energy reduces carbon dioxide emissions.
The lifespan of solar power plants is around 30 years.
The system is easy to install.
A solar power plant uses the energy directly, in the form of diffuse sunlight.
You can sell the power you dont use.
Solar power plants are easy to maintain.
Solar power plants consist of two parts. The first part is composed of solar photovoltaic modules which convert electromagnetic waves into electricity and voltage. The second part is composed of elements which redirect the generated electricity. A solar cell directly converts solar energy into electrical power. The sunlight that hits solar cells activates their electrons and makes them move, which is how direct current is generated. An inverter converts this current into alternating current and sends it to the grid. Solar cells are usually made of silicon, which is abundant in the Earths crust. Monocrystalline silicon cells are the most efficient and usable.
Rooftop solar power plants are usually mounted on buildings having a classic roof sloping at an angle between 0° and 60°. Its extremely important that the roof be well-maintained, as it should be able to bear the plant for about 30 years, which is the estimated lifespan of a solar power plant. The ideal roof is one where both sloped sections are facing south or adjusted to the suns movement from the east to the west. Finally, the roof should be large enough to meet the energy needs of the building.
One of the methods of installing a solar power plant is to embed modules into the roofs underlying structure. This installation method is worthwhile with new buildings, or when the entire roof structure should be replaced anyways. This solution is also very easy on the eye.2.3. Free-standing solar power plants
This type is a great way to make use of a land which has no other obvious purposes. This type of solar power plant requires a substructure positioned in a way which maximizes the amount of energy yielded by photovoltaic-cell modules.
This is a great solution for supplying power to family houses and similar small buildings like holiday houses, cottages, cabins, caravans, and other similar short-stay dwellings that cant connect to the utility grid.
When looking for solar manufacturers, vendors, or bidders, be sure you find enough information about their qualifications, certificates, and insurance. Most of this information can be found online, but you can also ask your friends and relatives whove had such investments.
Visit Daibau.ng to find bidders we work with, and youll also get a chance to see their references and reviews left by their clients. We strongly advise you get several offers and reach a decision after you compare their quality and competitiveness. These are some of the questions you can pose to the bidders:
- Are you familiar with the local regulations and procedures regarding obtaining a permit for a power plant installation and connection to the grid? Obtaining a building permit and permission to install a solar system and connect it to the utility grid can be a complicated and long process. Check if your bidder has sufficient relevant experience and if theyll take care of the whole procedure or just sell the equipment.
- Can you get references from other customers in your area? Talk to other customers in your vicinity since this is the best way to learn about any challenges they might have faced and how they were handled.
- Does your company hold valid licences and certificates? A photovoltaic system must be installed by an experienced, trained, and qualified installer. What this means is that the installer or subcontractor is licensed by the manufacturer and local power distribution company.
- What kind of warranty do I get for this system? Who’s responsible for ensuring the operation and maintenance of the system? Most solar power plants are covered by a standard industry warranty (usually 20 years for solar cells and 10 years for inverters). Good warranties often mean good quality of the equipment employed by the installer. Its also very important you know whos responsible for maintenance and repairs. Most purchase contracts specify maintenance under installers obligations.
- What exactly are you offering? Offers should clearly specify facts, namely the maximum generating capacity of the system expressed in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW), an estimate of the annual/monthly amount of energy the system generates, expressed in kilowatt-hours. Compare this figure with your electricity bills. Furthermore, offers should include total cost of operation, i.e. commissioning, mechanical and electric equipment, installation, connection to the grid, permission, tax, and warranty. Estimated kW/h consumption costs are the best criterion for comparing offers made by different bidders, as they use different equipment or offer systems differing in size and capacity.
There are three main types of solar systems for home:
This is the most common system used for households. Its composed of rooftop solar collectors generating direct current and inverters converting it into alternating current suitable for supplying home appliances. Any excess power generated by this system is exported to the electricity grid. At night or during low power production periods, the system draws energy from the utility grid. These modules also include backup supply in case of disconnection from the grid.
These systems are compatible with on-grid systems and include batteries for storing excess energy generated by collectors. At night or when the collectors are out of service, you can use the energy stored in the batteries instead of the one in the grid. These systems are especially popular in the areas where disconnection from the grid happens often.
A standalone solar power plant is an off-grid system. Here, the energy generated by collectors has to be sufficient for all household needs. These systems are usually larger and more expensive as they require more collectors, batteries, and inverters, which generate, convert, and distribute electricity to home appliances even when the system is at low capacity or completely out of service. Planning a solar system network usually requires precise data about average consumption and household needs in order to include a backup generator in the plans.
Before you make up your mind about going solar, youll first need to thoroughly examine production methods, power consumption, and actual needs. Maybe there are cheaper options requiring small upgrades and adjustments, which would make your home more energy efficient.
Try to make an estimate of how much use of solar energy you could get. PV power generation systems use direct and indirect sunlight, so this geographical position is rather suitable for using this source. However, the amount of energy a system can actually generate when installed at a certain location depends on the size of the system and exposure to the sun. Maps and other online information can help you make this estimate.
The average insolation ranges between 1.1 kWh/m2 per day in the north during the rainy season and 6.6 kWh/m2 in the south during July, which is between 1200 and 1550 kWh/m2 annually. This basically means that the average value of available energy stands at about 700 kWh/m2 per year. Quite a potential, right?
To ensure you obtain an optimal solar system offer, especially in terms of the size and capacity, we recommend you get hold of the following information:
Go through your electricity bills dating back several years to calculate your average consumption. Bills show consumption in kilowatt-hours (kW/h). Pay attention to every month, as consumption varies across different months of the year due to, for instance, AC during dry seasons, or boiling of water during raining seasons. Pay attention to any deviations and try to figure out a pattern.
According to the Environment Act, natural persons and individual households dont have the same obligations as legal persons, but when it comes to environmental protection and enhancing environmental efficiency by using natural resources, any initiative regarding technological and other improvements beneficial to humans, plants, animals, and the environment is welcome. This is why departments and agencies often grant funding and subsidies with a view to developing and improving this field. If youre interested, find out what actions your local community offers and if you’re eligible to receive some benefits.
Most solar power plant manufacturers and bidders offer help regarding permitting. Theyll also be able to recommend a system that best suits your needs and expectations. The size and capacity of a power plant depend on your households needs, but also on the following factors:
- your houses location and available sunlight,
- size, orientation, and pitch of the roof where the system is to be installed,
- the systems efficiency,
- other energy sources available in the vicinity—grid, wind parks, wind turbines, etc.
Daibau community is helping you with cost estimates, tips, information and selection of the right contractor for your home